MyAutoEvents.com Forum Index MyAutoEvents.com
Discussion and Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

duplicate numbers that really are not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyAutoEvents.com Forum Index -> Event Organizer Q & A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nharlan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: duplicate numbers that really are not Reply with quote

I am the registrar for an upcoming event and am having trouble with entering a mailed in entry. This entrant is using the number "07" and another car is already registered within the same group with the number "7". In our organization, these are not duplicate, but allowable. Is there some way to get MAE to recognize the difference between a standard number and one with a leading zero?
MyAutoEvents
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently number uniqueness is determined by the "real" numeric value of the number. As you found - 07 and 7 are treated as the same.

For some organizations, treating 07 and 7 as the same number is a requirement.

I'm going to have to do some research to see if there is a way to do what you desire without breaking the way it works for others.

Could you provide me with a link to your event so I can see some more details?
nharlan

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: numbering system for race groups Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I can provide you a link, but I doubt it will help you. www.mcscc.org is our main site, but our permanent number data base is maintained offsite by our licensing director, so I would have to attach a file for you to look at.
Basically, our race organization has entrants broken into 6 groups, with numbering to be unique within each. With the exception of Vintage/Historic, we allow numbers from 1-199 only, with the majority being used bet. 1-100. Because some groups have a very high number of entrants, we have basicaly run out of numbers 1-100, so we have also allowed some with leading zero's: 00, 01, 02 thru 09. That's where I ran into a problem, and maybe some of our entrants do, too, if they use MAE to register. It reads "7" and "07" as the same, then gives the error message "the number you have chosen has already been selected" (or similar)

For the few instances we may have this occur, I don't want to have things get messed up for any of your other organizations. This is personally the first time I have run into this as an issue, and I have not heard of anyone complaining that they are having numbering problems when using MAE. I got around it by making a manual change to my Excel sheet I downloaded from your site. I can work with this, but mainly posted my error to see if there is a way (that I missed) to let MAE know about our numbering system when setting up our event. Your site appears to allow numbers to either be unique within groups, or within the entire event, but not a way to add a selection for these odd numbering systems.

Anyway, I don't want to make work for you when it may not be necessary. I appreciate what you do as it is!

Nancy Harlan
MyAutoEvents
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy -

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

What event on MAE is this inquiry in reference to? I want to look at the existing entrant data as part of my investigation of your problem.

Cool
nharlan

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: numbering systems for race groups Reply with quote

Sorry! I was misunderstanding. The event is on May 26, and would be under "Lakeshore Sports Car Club", or Midwestern Council" as the organization. The event name is "May Madness W2W Driving Event".

If it is easier than posting replies on ths site, you can email me directly at: nharlan @ sbcglobal.net

Thanks!

Nancy Harlan
MyAutoEvents
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy -

Using the forums is fine. That way others who might have similar questions can see the dialog and possibly get the answer they seek.

I took a look at the code to re-familiarize myself with the number assignment and validation routines. Numbers are stored in the database as strings so it is ultimately possible to treat 7 and 07 differently. Unfortunately, the code change isn't going to be so simple and it will take a bit of work to make it function as you desire.

However, I just came up with a workaround! Here's a quick way to get around the number restriction: - use negative numbers to represent the 01, 02, 03, etc. Like -01, -02, -03. Since negative numbers are numerically different from positive numbers, you can sneak through the uniqueness restriction this way. Wink

I've added this feature request to my task list and will (hopefully) address it within the next few weeks.

Cool
nharlan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: similar numbers Reply with quote

Steve,

That's a great idea! I will mention this to our organization in case anyone else has similar problems.

Thanks!

Nancy Harlan
CivicSiRacer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could as an event organizer delete the 3 options for picking numbers and instead put in your own "Pick a Number" but using text instead of numbers.

Not sure if that would work, but when I organize our event and sort by numbers, Excel asks me to sort by whatever looks like a number when I download to my comp. I'm guessing it's seeing that column as text rather than numbers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyAutoEvents.com Forum Index -> Event Organizer Q & A All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: